Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Traumatic First Day...

We are officially moved. Addison and Talon had their first days at their new school and daycare. I had a test at 2 pm in SLC and Trent was closing so he didn't head into work until 1:30. I had him take her over to the school and make sure that she found her teacher and introduced her and get her settled. He called me and said she was fine and that he told the teacher which bus she needed to be on. Well fast forward to 3, I book it home in order to be here when she gets off the bus. I pull into the driveway about 3 minutes before the bus gets here. The bus gets here and the kids are all getting off...NO ADDISON! I started to panic...but tried to keep it cool. I run into the house and grab the phone book and start to follow the bus on foot because it heads up the street by my parents house and then heads back down another street so I didn't want to follow it in case she came down the wrong street. I call the school the secretary gives me the number for Transportation. I call transportation and tell her that Addison didn't get off the bus and I am not sure if she got on the bus or is at the school. The lady asks me what bus is she suppose to be on, is she special Ed etc. I explain that she is a kindergartner and that it is her first day at this school. The dispatch lady tells me to call the school and talk to the teacher and see what bus the teacher put her on and she will dispatch the other drivers for the school to see if she is on one of there buses. I tried to call the school and no one answers...VOICEMAIL...not helpful. I am sure that she is not on the bus at this time. So I decide to drive to school and make sure she is not there. Well I call the dispatch lady on the way and tell her that is where I am going and she puts me on hold as she is checking with the bus drivers. Right as I get to the doors of the school she gets on the phone and tells me that she is on another bus and asked where to have her brought. Well the bus gets there and I meet her as she is getting off and she starts sobbing...I got on the wrong bus! I am glad to know that she was as scared as I was! I then called Trent and asked him if he told the teacher the bus, he did and told me that she said... I will make sure to send her with another child that rides that bus. I called the school to talk to her teacher and left a message that I would like to be called about it. I was SO surprised she would just let a brand new kindergartner get on whatever bus she felt like!

To top off Addison exciting day...Trent took her to the wrong school this afternoon. He went to the office and said "this is Addison and she is new for Mrs. Grahams class." The secretary was like ummm....we don't have a Mrs. Graham. I think you must mean _____ school. Awesome babe!

Talon did have a great first day and his teachers raved about him...saying he couldn't have been better!

7 comments:

Kym + Marco said...

Oh how sad! I know how scary it is to watch your kids pull away on the bus, you just sit there and hope everything will go ok. I love that your hubby took her to the wrong school! That is classic!!

Rachelle said...

Ahhhh. I would have been terrified. That is like a major fear of mine. Poor mom and Addison.

Kimber said...

What a crazy day, but now that it is all ok, is sure made for a great story.

Heather said...

Poor kid! I guess what doesn't kill her will make her stronger right? Scary! I didn't know you were moving! You'll have to give all the details in your next post, or just email them to me...you know, like your new address so that I can send you a christmas letter!

Anonymous said...

OH my heck stac...I seriously would have freaked. That is awful for her and you. I am sorry...I would love to know how the conversation went with her teacher!

iliana said...

Oh my gosh how scary is that! I would be a wreck! That is funny Trent took her to the wrong school though.

Sarah said...

That same thing happened to my friend Sandy's oldest daughter on her first day of kindergarten. Except her daughter fell asleep in the way back & was only found when the bus driver did a trash check at the bus barn! Freaky!